Can Hypnosis Help Postpartum Depression?
Of all the complications from childbirth, in today’s world, Postpartum Depression (PPD) is the most common. It is estimated that between 10% – 20% of women in the United States, after childbirth, are suffering with PPD. What most people don’t realize is that it can affect women either during or after giving birth.
A majority of new moms get the “baby blues” for a few days after childbirth, but PPD lasts longer, is more severe, more serious and can interfere with your daily activities.
The signs and symptoms of PPD can be very serious and should not be ignored:
- Having feelings of sadness, emptiness, hopelessness, moodiness, irritability, anxiety or restlessness
- Unusual amounts of crying
- Eating too much or not eating enough
- Difficulty making decisions or concentrating
- Frequently feeling angry or full of rage
- Doubting yourself, especially doubting that you can care for your baby
- Unable to bond with your baby
- Uninterested in things or activities that you normally enjoy
- Having sleep problems, you may oversleep or you may not be able to sleep when your baby is
- Thinking about harming your baby, yourself, or both
Some of these symptoms seem like everyday feelings, but when they are in conjunction with other symptoms, are intense, and last too long, you should seek help. As a new mother you should never feel shame, or embarrassment…it’s not your fault, it is not a personal flaw, there are outside factors that can lead to PPD:
- Mental health issues in your family line
- Changes in hormones after childbirth
- Psychological adjustment to motherhood, accompanied by fatigue
- Changes in relationships
- Lack of support
- Outside stresses such as finances, job related issues, illness or death
The Effects of Hypnosis on PPD
Hypnosis is very powerful, because it works directly with the subconscious mind…it essentially changes how your brain interprets feelings and thoughts, and can therefore become a very effective way of treating PPD.
Postpartum Depression affects the emotional part of the brain, overpowering rational thinking. During hypnosis, your subconscious will be allowed to get rid of irrational thinking and once again be allowed to have rational thoughts – replacing negative with positive (called reframing). Hypnosis can help you eliminate the feelings of anxiety, guilt and fear and allows you to be the mother you hoped you’d be.
Don’t let PPD take over this special time of your life…
Contact me to schedule your Free 15 minute phone consultation